My Blog List

Sunday 1 May 2011

Cricket Tournament at WorldCall

On 19 April, 2011 i received an e-mail from Director HR, it was announcement of Cricket Tournament being held in WorldCall. Told all my technicians that we have an opportunity to show our talent, and eight people including me were ready to represent our department. Two teams were supposed to be announced so four of us made it in the team, i was personally somewhat satisfied with the decision.

As there is a staff of 125 in Operations HFC, we were not being given the fair amount of cut so we decided to make our own team, some of the Engineers and Assistants were also in support of this. Team of 15 was formulated under my captaincy, i talked to my Team Lead regarding the situation, he was not that interested in the whole thing but supported me. Then on 22 April, 2011 went to my GM to finalize things unfortunately he was in a meeting with directors. Meanwhile trials for selection were held and all other departments senior and junior staff was present there, sharp 4:30 pm. But to my shock none of the other engineers except me was there, our seniors were also out of the picture. It was a little disappointing, so i didn't participated in Trials regardless being asked to bowl several times. Came back to office and went to see my GM, he is really a nice guy and listens to my complain. He told me that our quota of two teams were cut down to one by HR so we have to scrutinize the best of 11, but he assured me of my selection. I was happy on representing my department but on the other hand i was disappointed by the seniors of my department. He agreed on my point and asked my Team Lead that he should have gone to the Trials for support of HFC Operations.

No other player of my area were selected so they all suggested me to boycott also. Anyways i planned to practice at night every day to improve my line and length, as i was being selected as spin bowler. The practice started on 22 April, 2011 at 11:50 pm. I bowled about eight overs and my feet started hurting, we decided to play every day at 4:00 pm. But couldn't play in the evening due to workload, so practiced at night on 23 April, 2011.

And then we got another mail regarding the schedule of the matches, passes and food coupons. 30 April,2011 was the big day so we had a final team meeting to decide all the matters., we decided to play last practice match on 28 April, 2011. At first we didn't managed to get a grip on ground eventually it was sorted out and we played for 3-4 hours it was a tiring practice which didn't involved me or Ahsan our opening batsman. then it was declared to rest for Friday and be hopeful, relaxed and aggressive on the big day.

On 30 April,2011 i got up early despite i was not feeling well. I went to the PAF ground to support my team and hoping to play in the next match. i arrived there and it was beautifully organised by the HR Team. there were  family section, Team Tents, Food Stalls and kids playing area. Suddenly a voice struck my ear Mustanser (our captain)  arranging his field and batting team requires 4 runs on 3 balls. So i located my team and to my shock our team scored just 57 on 6 overs, Omer was bowling the last over so i sat with fingers crossed, hoping against hope that they should win this. Omer bowled 2 wide balls and took a wicket on those last four balls but we sadly lost the match, we were out of the tournament as it was knock out system.

Captain was very angry and disappointed, Ahsan got the title of our Misba-ul-Haq, our GM arrived after the match and our Team leader was not there, none of the Engineers or assistants came so no attention from our seniors again.

GM posted on FB "We Lost the very first knock out match n now trying to find justifications which is obviously a funny stuff :)"  M. Akmal Javed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have Your Say (Yes It Matters)
Bol K Lab Azad Hain Teray.
Bol Mager Payar Say.
Sab Kah Do.